One of the new yarns from Plymouth for Fall 2009 is called Poppin’. This is a nylon puff yarn- with small Pom-pons along a core strand. As soon as I saw it I knew we had to have it. But it took awhile to figure out how to work with it. It ended up being easier to work with than I thought it would be, and will give you a great scarf in a minimum of time.
Linda from Knitter’s Dream in Harrisburg, PA made some changes to one of the patterns I did for this yarn and those changes produced a great striped scarf. She has agreed to share her pattern here with us. Many thanks to Linda for a fun and easy scarf pattern using Poppin!
POPPIN REVERSE COLORED SCARF
Materials: 2 skeins of Poppin (1 ea in 2 different colors – Color A #20 – Black & Color B – #01 White)
Gauge: 2 Garter Stitches and 1 Poppin ball = 1.25”
Needles: Size 9 – 24” circular (or size necessary to obtain gauge)
NOTES: Use the string inbetween each poppin “puff” ball to knit 2 stitches.
There will be 2 garter stitches inbetween each Poppin “puff” ball.
Only knit with the String! (2 stitches per string) EXCEPT when binding off – THEN knit 1 stitch per string. (This keeps the bind-off loose to preclude curling.)
Because you are using 2 different colors – do not cut yarn – carry yarn along to preclude having to cut and tie – this makes a smoother edge!
2. Knit 3 more rows using Color A. (Counting the cast-on row – this gives you 4 rows with Color A)
3. Tie on Color B (White) (DO NOT CUT COLOR A) and Knit 2 rows. Cross Color A over color B before proceeding. (This interlocks the 2 colors to preclude a gapping string from Color A)
4. Knit 2 more rows with Color B.
5. Change to Color A and knit 4 more rows (Remembering to cross previous color over the current color – especially after knitting 2 rows).
6. Change to Color B and knit 4 more rows.
7. Change to Color A , knit 3 rows.
8. Bind off lossely by using only 1 knit stitch per string.
MAKE A SECOND identical to above reversing the 2 colors. Start with Color B (instead of A)
Graph or sew the 2 pieces together – Enjoy! This is extremely soft and warm!!